Saturday, June 6, 2009

The Hip Bone's Connected...

One thing leads to another. Coincidences? Fate? Karma? All I know for sure is that I never know in advance what will happen when I move forward. Moving forward can simply mean getting up, getting dressed and going for a walk. Attending a gathering - social or professional. Leaving a comment on a blog that interests me. Sure, sometimes nothing happens. But more often than not, one thing leads to another, and usually in most unexpected ways.

Or maybe I just forget all the days when "nothing" happens. By the time "nothing" has happened, I'm already moving forward in another way!

I started this post a few days ago and probably had something significant to share about connections, but alas, I have moved on.

So what's exciting to me today is that it is Night Blooming Cereus time! Every year, around summer solstice, this cactus-vine plant that wraps around our palm trees puts out flowers. Just this time of year. For a few days, there are blooms. But here's the catch - ONLY at NIGHT! And what blooms they are. You have to wonder, why at night, and, why during the SHORTEST nights of the year?

There are some photos below. The real flower is even more profound. In the bottom photo, see the little fuzzy balls? They'll get more and more erect until finally they'll burst out into full bloom some night in the next week or so. In the morning, the spent flower droops on the vine like a used condom. These photos aren't the best, but they'll have to do for now. Sunset beckons and I'm off to the beach!

2 comments:

  1. Nice Blog Diana -- and great pictures of the flower -- I never saw anything like that before --thanks -- I will be doing my own blog shortly -- but it will be focused on aromatherapy. Thanks for the beautiful flute musice last nite -- really great!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And thanks to YOU, Patti Star/starchild, for last night's aromatherapy blessing. What a wonderful community we have here in Siesta Key - in-person and on-line!

    ReplyDelete