Monday, June 22, 2009

I love my husband!

No, he didn't do something out-of-the-ordinary that brought me to that realization. It was a gift from last night's Summer Solstice Celebration. A group of like-minded individuals met behind Sarasota's Unity Church, which has a wonderful labyrinth laid out in a wooded area. The event was filled with sacred chants and a variety of ceremonial empowerments, led by my friends, local spiritual guides Zan Benham and Jo Mooy.

Rev. Elizabeth of Unity sang. Dr. Marguerite Barnett danced. I played flute. Patti Star shared an aromatic blessing. Seven men honored the seven directions (East, South, West, North, Sky, Earth and Center). And there was even more. Everyone present put their energy into a special mandala painting carried around the circle.

After darkness fell, and the event ended, people left. I found myself walking the labyrinth itself, which hadn't actually been part of the ceremony. I love walking a labyrinth and use it sometimes in my own workshops. We once led an Intimacy Retreat at Relax-4-Life, a labyrinth center near Chicago. (Check out their hand-held labyrinths!) There's something magical and meaningful that occurs as you walk round and round to the center, and then out again.

As I walked, I felt at ease and in alignment with my life path. Yet a question arose, "What is my real truth?" Without seeking an answer, I simply walked with the question. Upon reaching the sacred center, I heard this powerful statement emerge from within me: "I love my husband!"

I wasn't expecting that at all! But it was delicious, and definitely true, and as I followed the path back out of the labryrinth, I held that truth as a joyous feeling.

Imagine my surprise, as I existed the labyrinth, to actually see my husband. He had decided to come to the event rather late and had just arrived, after everyone else was gone - except me.

This was a Summer Solstice I will always remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment