Saturday, May 23, 2009

Cyberspace Publicity

Unless she's already a prime time success, it is the author's responsibility to let people know about a newly published book. Therefore, much of my time is being spent this year on exactly that, letting the world know about my new book. (And, of course, about the Intimacy Retreats that my husband and I lead. )

What's exciting about doing book publicity is that I get to create or join ongoing conversations about love, sex, intimacy, relationships, Tantra and sacred awareness. Looking for appropriate conversations in cyberspace is like attending the HUGEST trade show or networking event one could ever imagine! It's up and running 24/7, and there are zillions of booths and visitors, each of which is a potential contact, someone new to meet.

Just as in face-to-face events, sometimes I meet and connect with people who are interested in my topic, and sometimes I don't. This week, I discovered Joan Price's blog about senior sexuality. She's the author of Better Than I Ever Expected, and she has now left a comment right here on MY blog, how cool is this!?


Each time I leave a comment somewhere, it's as if I've put a flyer on a bulletin board and people with similar interests may notice it and seek more information. Cyberspace publicity would seem to be the opposite of intimacy, but that's only if you choose to remain anonymous. Since I want people to get to know about me, I always use my real name and contact information. In a sense, I'm putting myself out there, saying "hey, here I am, take a look at me, maybe there's a conversation here, maybe our paths are meant to intersect for awhile." Maybe they will, maybe they won't. Life is like that, isn't it? We can't know in advance when or where intimacy will arise.

2 comments:

  1. How nice of you to say this! So glad you're enjoying my blog!

    Yes, I agree with you about the joys of meeting new people this way. Whenever someone a comment on my blog and includes a link to a profile, website, or blog, I always visit and read.

    Joan Price
    Author of Better Than I Ever Expected: Straight Talk about Sex After Sixty (Seal Press, 2006, http://www.joanprice.com/BetterThanExpected.htm )
    Join us -- we're talking about ageless sexuality at http://www.betterthanieverexpected.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Joan
    Thanks for visiting me again. If I were still living in California, we'd have met in person by now. But then again, if I were still in California, I might never have met my husband Richard and might never have written my book on tantric sex!

    ReplyDelete